Monday, September 15, 2008

Visit with the Oncologist

On Monday, Sheryl met with the Oncologist. During the meeting she learned that the lung biopsy determined there was carcinoma in the lungs. The cells are being tested with staining to determine whether or not it looks like breast cancer. Those test results will be available on Tuesday. The doctor said the disease was in the spine, lungs & lymph nodes and she confirmed it had NOT spread to the brain. The cancer is deemed a recurrence and is stage 4. Dr. Barbara Parker (Sheryl's Oncologist at UCSD) feels it is a priority to attack the whole system with Chemotherapy ASAP, which will occur weekly beginning on Thursday. (Sheryl says she is having sweet memories of bald moments!) Sheryl is having a chest port implanted on Tuesday afternoon to make receiving chemo and any other injections or blood draws easier for the giver and the receiver!!

On Monday, Sheryl had an infusion of Zometa, which is like a big dose of Bonita, the osteoporosis drug that Sally Field promotes. This is given monthly and is supposed to stabilize the bones to prevent fractures. Radiation is set for Saturday at the latest. Stay tuned for updates on the exciting new cancer drugs that will be announced soon!

Sheryl is doing a great job of managing all of this. We continue to be amazed by her courage and attitude to fight this head on!

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Thanks Deb. xo Sheryl

Jeanette said...

Sheryl - I am at a loss for words. First of all - I had no idea anything was going because I have not talked to you in so long. Sheryl - what can I do? Can I call, can I come see you, should I leave you alone until you know more. I am so saddened at this news. I am going to go to my church today, and pray for my dear friend. Let me know what else I can do.......much much love to you my dear friend - Jeanette