Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chemo...and then....

Hi Everyone -  Deb Finnegan here to provide a quick update on behalf of Sheryl.  During Chemo on Thursday, Sheryl began experiencing severe pain in her right shoulder and her rib cage.  When the pain medicine administered during chemo failed to reduce the pain, Dr. Barbara Parker admitted Sheryl to the hospital on Thursday night to get the pain under control.  During that time Sheryl had a chest x-ray and an MRI scan of her spine.  Additionally, Dr. Mark Wallace got the pain under control with IV medications that Sheryl could self-dose.  The x-rays and MRI scan indicated there has been no growth in the tumors and there are no new tumors, which is good news! However, they also revealed that Sheryl had fractured 2 ribs on her left side, which was causing the pain in her ribs.  The shoulder pain is being attributed to pressure on the nerve endings.  Today Sheryl is moving off the IV meds into oral medication.  The doctors expect she will return home on Sunday - although Sheryl is campaigning hard for an early release on Saturday.  With her charming ways, she just might get her wish!  Sheryl thanks you from the bottom of her heart for all your prayers and well wishes.  I'm printing the comments you all are posting on the blog and am taking them to the hospital, so she can see them.  Sorry I'm not as funny with words as Sheryl is....she can't wait to be posting this news herself again soon.  Sending you all love and hugs from Sheryl.  -Deb

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sheryl!
I stopped by to see you at the hospital this morning and you were sleeping so peacefully...I was sad not to be able to give you a hug in person, but so happy you are catching up on much needed rest. I loved meeting your sister...how nice for you and the family that she can be here for help and support that only sisters can provide.

Thinking of you and sending lots of love and wishes that will hopefully help you come home soon!
love,
Micki

Jeanette said...

It is all I can do not to come and visit you at the hospital....but what you need most now is rest, and peace and quiet. God knows that is not possible with my big mouth. I miss you, I am thinking of you, and praying that things improve for you. I have been sharing all of the news with my mom and she sends her love. Be well my friend, I love you - Jeanette

Unknown said...

Hi There Beautiful,
This latest news makes me a bit sad but I know you are in loving and caring hands with the Drs. Wallace.
I think of you every day and include you in nightly prayers. Know you are never far from my thoughts and I look forward to having the chance to tell you in person how much you mean to me, kiddo, and of course to laugh with you.
Here's hoping you are safe and sound and sleeping peacefully in your own bed tonight.
With my love always,
~Mare

susanmc said...

Hi Sheryl!!!
I was just looking at your slideshow and thinking what a beautiful person you are inside and out! I want to see you in person so bad, but until then just know you are in my prayers daily for strength and comfort. Heaven knows, chidbirth should be the only pain we should ever endure in our life! Hugs and kisses from the McMahan family especially Susan